A selection of development tools for database and data warehouse work. I have tried to indicate where uac elevation is required to install them.
- Poor SQL http://poorsql.com SQL formatting (online)
- Poor Man’s T-SQL formatter Visual Studio extension (CTRL K + C) (no uac)
- Poor Man’s T-SQL Formatter SSMS Extension (uac)
- Sentry One Plan Explorer https://www.sentryone.com/plan-explorer (uac)
- Redgate SQL Prompt.
- Azure Data Studio. installed with SSMS. I’m not yet a convert to this, although it does allow direct switching between Azure SQL databases unlike SSMS.
- Dax Studio essential for analysing DAX queries https://www.sqlbi.com/tools/dax-studio/ (uac)
- BISM Normalizer Visual Studio extension. Schema compare and merge for SSAS Tabular models. Rationalises the .bim file JSON hell. Home Page – BISM Normalizer (bism-normalizer.com) (no uac)
- Tabular editor will appear as a menu in PowerBI. A better experience for editing tabular models than PowerBI or Visual Studio. (uac for installer but TabularEditor.exe can be run direct).
Working with data
- JSON formatting and validation, online JSON Formatter & Validator (curiousconcept.com)
- Greenshot. Screen capture with annotation and obfuscation features. https://greenshot.org. (no uac – normally)
- ASCII Text Generator https://patorjk.com/software/taag – the Big Money formats work well for heading scripts.